2018: A Year Full Of Technological Surprises
Another year has passed away, and we have stepped into 2019. When we look back, there are a plethora of things that have emerged as the most recondite inventions and offered new approaches to solve old problems. These technologies had a profound impact on multiple industries and businesses.
However, If you sit back for a while and have a flashback, there is most likely a chance that you will come across a list of gadgets or technologies that must have excited you time by time. Many of you must have only heard about them and some have actually bought or used these technologies. One way or the other, this year has been a super exciting one.
If we generally talk about these inventions there is a long list that is actually changing the way we live, work, play and even think. Thus, this article highlights six of these exciting new technologies that have actually transformed our lives.
- Smart cities
- Artificial Intelligence
- Voice-based applications
- Augmented Reality
- 5G Technology
We have seen a number of advancements in making the cities smarter. In the US, 66% of the cities are investing in smart city technologies, like smart meters, intelligent traffic signals and RFID sensors in paved areas. Therefore, some of the major masterpieces we have come across this year especially, includes:
- Apps that modifies traffic lights for slower pedestrians
- Interactive pedestrian crossing that provides alerts for drivers.
- Compact IoT green wall that cleans urban air.
- Sensors that gather data on everything from air quality to noise levels to people’s activities.
- Driverless cars
- Garbage Bins that automatically sort waste and collects data.
- Smart streetlights that automatically turn on or off.
- Smart meters
- Smart Grids
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Artificial Intelligence has remained a favorite concept this whole year. Where, Cloud-based AI is basically making technology cheaper and easier to use. Thus, many tech behemoths like Google, Microsoft and Amazon have been playing with AI along with many startups. Technologies like Machine learning and artificial neural networks have enabled crafting many masterpieces like:
- AI-powered Refrigerators and other kitchen appliances
- AI enabled smart TVs
- Smart home devices like smart bulbs, smart windows, smart locks, and the list go on
- AI enabled home appliances
- AI-powered risk management devices and applications for emergencies
- Soil sensors for better agricultural productivity
- AI enables wearable like cowlar to track health, fertility, location and general activity of cattle.
- Multiple robots
- Smart washroom sensor system for quicker cleaning.
- Face ID recognition systems in various smartphones
- Home security gadgets and devices
- Industrial gadgets to streamline processes and enhance productive communication.
With an increase in connectivity, many questions started to raise regarding privacy. Thus, Many initiatives have been taken in this regard along with many tools, during this year. Some of the tools include;
- Checkpoint cloud guard
- Crowdstrike falcon X, to automate threat analysis
- FireEye Helix, to automate security operations and monitor cloud infrastructure.
- an emerging cryptographic protocol called a zero-knowledge proof.
- McAfee MVision, mobile security player with an enhanced version to meet the needs of larger businesses.
You must have seen various appliances that you can communicate with. User-friendly virtual assistants like the Amazon Echo and Google Assistant have enabled controlling and streamlining a number of your home and work appliances. Take the examples of Apple’s SIRI and Cortana, Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa.
You may also like: Microsoft is Making Business Meetings “Smarter” with Its AI-Powered Device
Another milestone that we have come across this year is (Augmented Reality ) AR based applications and software. We have seen a rising trend in this technology, where Big tech giants are increasingly making use of AR and VR to transform the legacy experiences. Some of the most gobsmacking devices we have are:
- Oculus Rift
- HTC Vive Pro
- Sony PlayStation VR
- Samsung Odyssey/Windows Mixed Reality
- Lenovo Mirage Solo
- Samsung Gear VR and the list goes on
The projected economic impact of Virtual and Augmented reality Technologies worldwide from 2016 to 2020 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
Organizations are making extensive use of this technology to make their process seamless. Wondering what devices and technologies are they using in this regard?
Last but not least, 5G Technology has finally started to roll out in this year (2018). This technology proves to revolutionize several areas and a plethora of other technologies. It comes with the attributes of lightning-fast speed and negligible latency, which will further fire up new services and applications in the area of smart homes, smart cities, Virtual and Augmented Realities and a long list of other technologies.
According to the Deloitte analysis, the following are the benefits of 5G enabled Technology
In a Nutshell.
Therefore, if we have a look over this past year (2018), we do find some super exciting technologies and devices that have made us believe in changing realities and have made our lives easier. This year have had major transitions on technological grounds. What we use to hear and imagine only for the past several years, this year has made us actually experience that.
Hence, This year proves to be a turning point, for sure, which has actually opened up doors for countless innovations yet to come in future.
Technology has achieved some major milestones this year including AR, VR, and AI technologies, along with Increased focus on cybersecurity. And, some major contributions have been made in making cities smarter.